August 18, 2014

Professional Duty Day 1

I'm just going to explain everything that happened today.

I got to the elementary school at 7:30 and went to the office and talked to one of secretaries, who miss heard the teacher I was with and took me to the wrong room first. Then she gave me the right direction on where to go. I don't think I mentioned this last semester, but part of the school was closed off for construction. Now it is open, so my mentor has a "new" classroom. The bad thing is that you can't put anything on the walls, cabinets, or doors.  

Around 8 ish, all staff had a meeting with the principal who went over quit a bit of stuff. He also introduce us interns, which he also said that there was another intern from a different university. I believe that went on until 10:30- 11. Didn't really keep track of time. Oh, then before the meeting my mentor came in about 10 minutes after me. I just waited those few minutes looking around in her classroom. 

After the meeting, we went back to the classroom to continue working. I'm just going to list everything that I did below:
- Cut out book labels
- Taped book labels to paint sticks
- Placed labels in library
- Listed missing book labels
- Placed math signs
- Changed math board title
- Placed spelling counters into bags
- Arrange the desks

During the meeting one of the teachers gave us some big books that he was getting rid off and I got a school planner. Also there is small thousand leggers in the classroom, which is creepy since I have a huge one somewhere in the house. There are a few students from the kindergarten class that I know. Two of them will be interesting to see again and how they are doing. 
My mentor was thinking about having no assigned seats, but after talking to one of the special education teacher she changed her mind. That would have been really unique to see how it would have worked. I have never thought about doing that. My mentor is really nice and I learned that she doesn't live that far from me and her kids go to schools that I went to. She's pretty chill and relax, so I know that working with her will be good.

I left around 3:50, though she said I could leave at 2:45 since that is the end of the teachers day, though I stayed to finish the math board and then helped her figure out the arrangement of the desks. 

We still have a lot to do this week in the classroom plus there are some sessions that we need to attend like the smart board one tomorrow which is not mandatory, but it's her first time working a with smart board. I'm looking forward to that one. Then she told me that on Thursday she is not getting in until 1:30 and she is not sure what I am going to do yet, though I will be at the elementary school. Thursday is the important session day about the new system or something, so I might have to take notes for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment