August 13, 2014

Documentaries: The Lottery

Warning: May Contain Spoilers


About:
In a country where 58% of African American 4th graders are functionally illiterate, The Lottery uncovers the failures of the traditional public school system and reveals that hundreds of thousands of parents attempt to flee the system every year. The Lottery follows four of these families from Harlem and the Bronx who have entered their children in a charter school lottery. Out of thousands of hopefuls, only a small minority will win the chance of a better future.

Cited From: thelotteryfilm.com

I didn't know much about charter schools before watching this film. I still don't know exactly how I feel about them, though it was interesting to see different parents thoughts on them. They don't seem like a horrible idea, so I don't understand why so many people were against the move of the charter to a bigger school to have more students. I wanted to cry when I saw some of the parents faces during the lottery because you could feel/see how much they wanted it for thier child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment