August 27, 2014

Student Teaching: Day 1 (Semester 7)


Today was a good day. I mostly just observed the students to learn about them and their names. My mentor already has their names down, so I need to catch up. When I came in she had some things she wanted me to do through out the day while I observed, which took me most of the time to complete. 

I ripped out all of the lessons for chapter one in the math books and stapled them together and separated the homework, lessons, and vocabulary cards from each other. Then I had to print a bunch of things that took a lot of time because the printer wasn't working, then it was, but then it got a paper jam. That was not fun. 

I got to the school at 7:15, but I need to get there earlier because all the parking spaces were taken, so I had to park in the neighborhood. I want to get to the school at 7:00 like I did last semester because I had no trouble during that time. 

We had a practice fire drill for first grade where my mentor showed what the students need to do if they would hear that sound and where to go. We practiced walking outside twice. On Friday, the whole school is going to do one together. It was good for me to be there because I never know what could happen while there.

After the students left, my mentor discussed that she wanted me to read a book to the students tomorrow after lunch and then I will present my poster to them afterwards. She is going to read The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn before lunch and then I will read the next book. She let me take the book home to look at. 


Update about work:
So there were no new co workers, though we did finally get a new director. She seems really nice and young. It was only her first day there, so maybe she will get tougher because I don't see her working there for long if she doesn't toughen up. Parents and teachers will walk all over her if that's how she really is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment