June 15, 2015

Problems with Mentor

Let me begin by saying that I did not have any problems with either of my mentors. 

This is about the other girl that was with my pre-primary mentor that had problems. 

So at the very beginning of the of the second rotation I was getting ready to leave the school when I was walking past the copy room and the girl stopped me to talk. She asked me if I ever wore jeans when I was with the mentor and I said yes. I know what you are thinking, you should not wear jeans, but my mentor, supervisor, and principal said that it was ok. I only ever wore jeans once a week and only on the day that we were told that we could. 

Anyways, she begins to tell me that the mentor went off on her, yelled at her she said, about wearing jeans. I was confused and said she really yelled at her to the point that she wanted to cry. She said that the mentor said that she had to force me to wear jeans and another intern ,now teacher there, never wore jeans when she student taught. 

I was kind of taken aback when she said I was forced because she didn't force. She just said that it was ok. I talked to her on a Friday I believe and late Saturday I got an email from that mentor asking for the supervisors email, which I give to her. I ended up texting the girl to give her a heads up.

The intern talked to the supervisor and everything seemed fine I thought. Then during the second to last week in the semester I talked to the other intern and she said things between the girl and mentor was tense. I was surprised to hear that since when I would see the girl and ask her how things were going and she would say fine. 

The other intern told me about how the girl was lying about things to the mentor and that it was so bad that the mentor threatens her about her evaluation. I was shocked to hear about the evaluation and how bad things seem to how gotten. Though the girl was keeping in touch with the supervisor who was supposedly on her side. 

My mentor was making the girl do things that I did not have to do. Like she made her turn in her plans every Friday for the following week. I got to turn mine in the night before. She was having the girl stay until 6 or later almost all the time. I only stayed till 6 one time and the rest of the time I left around 5. When the girl went to pick up her cap and gown which is about an hour drive away, she went there and had to come back to the school to still help the mentor. 

At first with everything that I was hearing about what was happening was such a surprise because the girl is really nice and very charismatic. But then I found out she was lying and not getting things done like she was told and then I understood why the mentor would have been frustrated. I always felt there was something off about the girl when I first met her. 

I would have thought with after the jeans incident she would do everything right. I can tell you that she never jeans again. I began to feel awkward wearing jeans, but my mentor stilled said it was fine and the other intern was wearing them. I felt bad for the girl, but it seems that she dug her self into that hole. 

If I was the girl I would be very worried about the recommendations the mentor will write about her to the counties she is applying for. Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment