June 19, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Math Activity

Back during my pre-primary internship, I had to create a math lesson that was St.
Patrick's Day themed and this is what I came up with. 


I began the lesson by reading this short story called five leaping leprechauns that my mentor had found. After reading the story, I called on five students to be the leprechauns and act out the story while I read it. 

Next I had a big pot and told the children that they were going to steal some of my gold coins. I would count out the amount of coins in the pot before the student would come up and then the student would say how many coins they stole. Then we would say the subtraction sentence. I did this a couple of times with different students. They had a blast being able to steal my gold coins. 

Next I gave students a small gold pot of their own and some paper coins and they worked with partners doing what we did on the carpet. They would also use the dry erase board and marker to practice writing the subtraction sentence. 

Lastly, the students had to decide how many coins would be in their pot and glue them down and then decide how many gold coins the leprechaun took by drawing X's on them. Lastly they filled out a piece of paper attached to the bottom talking about their pot of gold. 

I made these pot by using this link and printing them onto construction paper. For the gold coins was yellow construction paper and I used a circle cutter that my mentor had. For the paper attached I created and you can get that here.

Below is a few examples the independent activity the students did:



No comments:

Post a Comment