September 12, 2014

Student Teaching: Day 5 (Semester 7)


This was a pretty interesting day and I will explain why that was later on. I greeted the students in the morning, reminded they what to do, and got them started on their morning work. 

The student that I picked for my case study project didn't bring in his permission slip, so I discussed with my mentor about picking another student which I did and sent a permission slip home with him. My mentor also sent emails to both parents asking the 1st student's parents about the form and telling the other student's parents that I picked what it was about. 

Hopefully one of the students brings in the form tomorrow, so I can give him assessments that I need to get done because the first part of the report is due next Friday. 

There was an assembly about diversity or that is what I was told, but really everyone was divided beforehand into three teams. There were two games I was on the red team. Basically it was a game and there were different games that we played. The guy who was doing it need team captains, a teacher, from each team. The guy thought the students were all pointing at me so I became the team captain for the red team. 

Mostly I just helped the students with the games and picked the students to play the game. At the time I was really nervous about messing up or letting the students down. I am proud to say.......that we got in second place and we were not that far behind from winning. Overall I had a really fun time playing. 

After that we did the normal routine for the rest of the day. During the math black I read to them a math story and did some math problems based on the story. It was kind of difficult for them, so my mentor stepped in and helped and afterwards they did much better. 

At the end of the school day, me and the other interns there, four of us, met with our PDS coordinator there to discuss ideas for our service learning project. It went really well and we decided on what we are going to do and when. It is going to be every Wednesday in October except the last one and it will be right after the school day. We are going to do a healthy habits and physical activities with the students. 

The only sad part for me is that we are only offering it to the students in second and third grades. None of my students in first grade can be in it. I am looking forward to doing this and the great thing is that we will have completed the project a month before it is due. Which is a bonus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment