September 3, 2014

Student Teaching: Day 3 (Semester 7)


Arrived at my normal time, 7. As the students are walking in another first grade teacher comes in and says that we have a new student starting today. My mentor had no knowledge about before hand, but she says that is not uncommon. We only had one available desk left in the classroom, though she could always take mine. There are extra desks out in the hall in case we need them. 

I assessed the students on their knowledge of the alphabet and on sight words. The sights words were mostly ones that they will be learning about and only a few words from kindergarten. I had mixed students in everything. 

Two funny things happened. I gave the students a speech about how they might not know all of the words, but there are some they might have learned from kindergarten. While I was trying to say this to one student, she cut me off and said she knew them all and surprisingly she did. With another student, he got about half way with the words and told me he forgot all of the words he learned in kindergarten. 

After that it was time for lunch and recess. During that time we discussed how the assessing went and when I first came in I was talking to her about picking a student for my case study about a student who is one grade level. The student I thinking about doing couldn't read what I needed her to read, so we talked about trying with someone else. 

When the students came back I tried with that student and I decided to pick him. We did a little math and then the students had music and afterwards they packed up. We did a few interests bags that the students created. I also put the paper about the project in the students folder. 


I finally went to my first planning meeting with the first grade teachers and it was very different compared to the kindergarten teachers. The one girl was texting the whole time on her phone and wasn't saying anything. It just felt awkward. When we got back in the classroom my mentor told me that the things they planned on doing for certain days, that she wasn't going to do them. 

I got to leave shortly after that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment