May 15, 2015

Student Teaching: Primary: Week 8

Today was my last day as a student teacher and this week went by so fast. 

During the week I still taught reading groups, but that was all. On Tuesday and Wednesday morning, I went and so the morning routine of two of the second grade teachers. Both teachers had their students come into the classroom quietly. It was surprising to have students come in and barely say a word. 

Thursday was a surprise. I walked in and the principal said hello and said that he had a question for me. He went off to do something and I went down to another intern. After searching for the principal I found him and he asked me if I wouldn't mind taking over my mentor's classroom for the day because they needed her to go into another first grade classroom and the sub that was suppose to be there to go to Kindergarten because that sub had canceled. 

I agreed, but I felt like I really couldn't say no. Then it was a rush to have my mentor explain everything that was planned for the morning. Also during lunch discussing what to do during math. At the beginning of my lunch, my supervisor from college came in to say her goodbye and how much she enjoyed working with us. My mentor kind of told her what was happening about the day, but I don't think my supervisor fully understood that I was teaching in the classroom by myself. 

It was all good though. Everything went well and no major problems accrued. 

Walking in on Friday knowing it was going to be my last day didn't feel real. It still doesn't feel real. My mentor was checking the students reading levels and had a sub in the classroom. I got to watch her doing the running records. Then before specials at the end of the day my mentor gave me her gift and we ate popsciles outside. 

I gave the student their gifts while they were packing up. The students were so sweet when they saw that I gave them something. One student immediately said "aww" and gave me a big hug. Another student told me that he was going to miss me so much and was going to think about me in his dreams and memories. 

Oh! Also, on Friday we provided a small breakfast to all the staff in the school. We got a breakfast tray from Sam's Club and made a fruit bowl. Nothing super special. Later in the day I went down to use the restroom and everything was gone. During the day, many teachers said thank you for providing them breakfast. One of the intern's teacher said that none of the other student teachers have ever given the staff something before. 

And... that was what my last week of student teaching was like and now I will be graduating on Thursday. I will tell you all about that next Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment