October 17, 2014

Student Teaching: Day 14 (Semester 7)



Meet the new intern. She will only be there for two weeks, so after next week she will be gone. 
Worker with my case study student and it was a struggle. We wanted to add a picture to what he wrote about, but kept messing up. I told him that we could work on it latter, but he wanted to do it then. Finally, I convinced him that we could work on it during lunch. 

Came back into the classroom and did the calendar routine and morning message. 
I watched my mentor with the reading groups.
Then I taught Social Studies which went ok. There was a misunderstanding about what their poster was to be about, but my mentor fixed it. Kind of. 
Then it was time for lunch and recess. I stayed in the cafeteria and allowed the student to finish his work. 

While they were at recess my mentor discussed with my and the other intern about doing a reading group next week, so I will work with the lower reading group on both days next week. 
When they came back from recess the students got to finish their poster. When this was starting the sub walked in and my mentor forgot that she had an esol meeting and my mentor just told the sub that I was in charge. I just talked to the students about their poster and writing labels on it. 

After that we did math when my mentor came back. It began raining at this time. We had the students line up for music which is outside in the portal. I was at the end of the line and while I was walking the tech teacher told me not to let the kids walk out and she went to tell my mentor. My mentor went to get the students who made it outside to come back in. I stayed with the students who did not go. Then as they brought it the students I got them in line. 
We went back to the classroom and the music teacher never showed up, so we just finished with math. 

Before I knew it, it was time to pack up.
Then I went and changed for Service Learning. 



It rained and we were going to have the students play in the alcove, but they were stepping up the book fair there. We all just stayed in the classroom and did a smart board lesson with them.

Time went by so much faster during that lesson then it felt like. The lesson took up most of the time and we had a worksheet for the students to do also.

At the end we ate snack and they lined up and that was it.

We did have one late student and we had trouble getting a hold of the parents. Our PDS coordinator helped out and was finally able to get a hold of the grandfather and another teacher said that she would stay with him and let us leave. It was very nice of her and it was about 4:20 when we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment