October 3, 2014

Student Teaching: Day 10 (Semester 7)


Worked with case study student during morning, so I didn't greet the students or tell them what the morning work was. Though I did go over the morning work answers. I began the calendar routine and did the morning message which took so time because students would come up and wouldn't know what to fix. So had them stop, put their hands down, and really think about what was wrong with the daily message and know before I call on them what they are going to fix.

I can not remember what I did during reading block on this day, though I am sure I did something. 

Then students went to lunch and I got them seated without any problems. I went and got them after recess. When the students were away I was busy trying to figure out stuff for service learning. We had problems of not communicating with each other. When I came in that morning, I found out that our PDS coordinator that was going to stay with us after school was not there. So I was running around trying to find the other girls to ask if they wanted my mentor to stay for a little while. She could not stay the whole time and we said yes. 

After all that, I got the students back from recess and I began the math lesson with them. I didn't realize it at the time, but how I set up the subtraction problem for the students was confusing. My mentor helped me fix it during the lesson and everything else was fine. Students understood what to do better. 

I took students to music, which I need to work on with them a little more because they talk just a bit too much for me in the hallway. When the students came back I explained the math homework and they packed up. I left a few minutes early to change into more comfortable clothes for service learning. 


I was very nervous going into this because of the issues we were having throughout the day. Oh I for got to mention that one of the girls lost the paper that had the plans we were going to do each week with the students. So I am not sure what we are doing next week. Hopefully we will discuss before next Service Learning day. 

When I walked into the classroom we were all meeting in there were already some kids there. We took attendance and all but one kid was not there and then one kid was there who was not suppose to be. We called the day care of the on child who was suppose to be here and he was there and then we called the parents to let them know. 

We decided to let the student who was not suppose to be there to stay, but we needed to talk to whoever was picking her up since it was never marked on her paper. We tried calling the parents, but she was not understanding what was being said. 

We explained to students what we will be doing each week and that we expect them to still behave like they are in school. That if they can not listen then they will not get to play the game. We then explain the game to them that we will be playing outside; chain tag. Though towards the end students will have to try and name the students who are on the chain, until all the students are unchained. 

All the students seemed to really enjoy themselves. They all played the game and everything went fine. We played the game for about 35 minutes and then we let them play on the playground for about 20 minutes before taking them back inside. 

They ate their snack and while they were eating we passed out the MyPlate worksheet that we let them take home to share with their family. We discussed different foods for each part of the plate. Then we had them get their stuff to line up. We had the before and after kids leave first and then we walked down rest of the kids to their families. 

It turned out the student who was not suppose to be there was being picked up by this other kids mom. The mom said that she was going to be picking her up each week and the little girl said she was to go home with her. 

We only had one kid get picked up late and he had his own cell phone to call his mom who said she was on her way. Mom apologized about being late. 

Overall everything went well and I had fun and the kids enjoyed themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment