October 1, 2014

Service Learning



Another service learning project that we have to do. Although this one is better because we get to decide what we want to do. My cohort professor is not involved or any of my other professors.

Me and the other girls at my placement school are all doing something together. About three weeks ago we meet with out PDS Coordinator to discuss what we can do and we decide on doing a health and fitness club during October after school on Wednesdays, but only for 2nd and 3rd graders. So none of my students can do it since I am in 1st grade.

It will be on every Wednesday in October except for the last one from 2:15 - 3:45. The students will come and for the first hour we will be doing something physically, hopefully outside if not raining, and then we will come in. They students will eat their healthy snack and have a mini health lesson.

We sent out the permission slips on the 18th to the students and that following week we received 40 or so slips back asking to join. We were only on planning to have 24 students, but changed it to 30. I was nervous that we were not going to have that many and I am glad that I was wrong.

I do not know all of the details about everything we are going to because last week when I tried to talk to them they just didn't care. I am slightly annoyed with them since it feels like they are just trying to take the easy way out of the things.

I want this is truly be fun for the kids and when their parents pick them up and ask how it went, they a excited to tell them everything fun they did. At this time it doesn't seem to be that way.

We shall see how everything goes. Today was the first day and I will explain on the student teaching post for Friday how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment