May 2, 2014

Student Teaching: Day 10 (Semester 6)


Today we had a Substitute Teacher in the classroom. Last week my mentor told us she would be out and also said what she wanted us to do. She emailed us the night before with the final things she wanted us to do. I did the opening with the students and for some reason I was nervous and kind of forgot the pledge until the Sub had them do it. The second thing I had to do was teach a health lesson that I already new about and had discussed with my mentor. It was small lesson about respect and I just read from the book what I had to talk about with the students.

I got to the school at my normal time, 7 o'clock, and Anne was already there, but not the sub. She printed out what she sent us in the email at our spot in the room. Anne was already working on one of the items and I began working on something else that we needed to do.

Anne and I both finished those two items a few minutes after the school began. This is when the Sub came into the classroom. She said that she was happy to see us but wasn't sure if we were going to be there. She asked us if our mentor has every left us in the classroom alone with the students. Our mentor has left us with a few students, but never with the whole class. The sub needed to go and get her daughter who was in a different classroom in the school.

The students were not as good as they usually are, but for the past two days it had been raining non stop, so I'm sure that affected their behavior. They didn't do anything bad. They were just more chatty during the lessons. We also got to do our prop boxes with some of the students. They ended up breaking some things in my box which was disappointing considering how much time I worked on it.

This was our second to last day there and so me and Anne got some notes that we will give to the students and teachers next time. I will explain in the post next Wednesday with pictures what we gave to everyone. We were able to get everything done that we needed to do during the day and so when all of the students left we got to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment