April 28, 2014

Service Learning Day


We have to do a service learning day and for my cohort we did it differently then the other cohorts. We had to work with our science professor and cohort professor for this day. We did this at one of the other schools on a Thursday day after my placement school already let out. We had to be there at 3 and our cohort professor provide us with pizza and water which was very nice of her.

Before this day we were split into three groups of five. The service learning night was about senses, so in the groups you had to pick one sense and create a center. We also had to create take home bags for the students with an activity inside about senses. Thinking about this now, I don't now how we will be graded because my cohort professor never saw the activity of the bags we made. By the way, this was for Spanish families and students, so the directions in the take home had to be in English and Spanish.

I wasn't very nervous for this night because everyone in my cohort was there. First the parents and students came in and my cohort professor talked to them and then we left to the classroom where we had setup out centers. There was a total of twelve kids, which was more then I thought was going to be there. One of the girls from the cohort read a book to them in Spanish. Then we split them into groups and they each went to a center. We also had them rotate through the centers, which was unknown to us, but worked out fine anyways.
Take Home Bag

It ended earlier then we thought, so we got to leave at 6 instead of 6:30. The kids were good and all spoke English, so there was no trouble understanding them. This day was a very long day since I had gotten up at 5:40 that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment