April 7, 2014

Literacy Bag

Front 
For this project I picked one student in the classroom that is going to receive this bag. The student will take the bag home for one week and read the books and complete the games in the bag with their family. The bag needs to be themed based and the file folder games need to relate to the books.

I'm giving this to my student this upcoming Thursday and he will get to keep it over his Spring Break. I'm asking for it back on Monday, April 22 to make sure that I get it back in time because that following Tuesday it's due.

Back     
Materials Needed:
  • Bag that is decorated with the theme
  • 3 or more Books that are fiction and non-fiction
  • 3 or more Literacy File Folder games
  • Additional list of 3 more books
  • Additional list of 2 more activities
  • Organized literacy bag with directions
  • Family Evaluation Form
  • Introduction Letter
  • Checklist of Materials
I created this activity and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. I'm glad I used shark teeth to place the words on to make it look more nicer. and shark related.


Activity 2: Label the Shark
This took some time trying to find a good shark labeling image to use that wasn't already labeled or too many parts to label. I just had them label the parts that went along with Book 2.


Activity 3: A-B-C Shark Order
I got the different sharks from Three Dinosaurs. It's free to download. I just made a cover for the folder and the answer key.

Activity 4: Story Sequencing
I added this activity last second because I felt that my other ones weren't really literacy activities. This goes along with book 4. 

This book is great for beginner readers. It uses large font with only a few sentences on each page. 

I liked this one because it showed different types of sharks and the different parts of the shark which I needed for activity 2.

Book 4: The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark by Ken Geist


Side Notes:
This project has been more time consuming and difficult then I thought it would be. I wish I had worked on it more during Spring Break. The big problem for me was trying to find appropriate/good books. I don't have time to just sit at a library and looks at books, besides it way to many to go through, so I would put books on hold to pick up. I didn't want to purchase books unless I looked at them first and I can't do that with ordering them online.

I also had to laminate the file folder games and decorate the bag. I wanted to make sure everything looked nice and neat. One thing I would have changed was not to use the Velcro because it made the pieces bigger and it made it difficult to put everything into the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment