March 10, 2014

Lesson Plan: 1 (Semester 6)

For one of my classes I need to teach a small group of students with slower development or special needs a lesson. I asked my mentor earlier this week what she would like me to teach them because I want it to be beneficial to the students. She told math would be good and then when I went on Wednesday she said something about number recognition. I thought I would do that since they are doing addition and are about to do subtraction. If the students don't know their numbers then they are going to have a hard time doing math problems.

This lesson my kind of last minute because I was going to teach it sometime during my spring break, which is next week, so I had to think of an idea quickly and get the materials ready in less then a week.


Math: Number Recognition


Objectives:
  1. Students will recognize numbers 1-10 by adding spots to ladybugs and writing that number.
  2. Students will recognize numbers by coloring the pictures based on the numbers.
Common Core Standard:
CCSS.Math.Content.K.CC.A.3 Write numbers from 0 to 20. Represent a number of objects with a written numeral 0-20 (with 0 representing a count of no objects).

Materials:
Introduction:
  • The teacher will tell the students that she caught some ladybugs outside the other day. The teacher will take out one of the ladybugs and ask the students "What is this on the ladybug" while pointing to the number on the ladybug. 
  • The students should say it's a number or they will say what the number is.
Procedures:
  • Next the teacher will ask the students if they notice anything missing from the ladybugs. They should say their spots. 
  • The teacher will pull out one of the ladybugs and pick a student to add the spots to the lady bug. 
  • The students will have the worksheet in front of them and the students will write which ladybug it is in the box and then add the spots on the ladybug.
Assessment:
  • Students will complete the Slimy Snail/Dazzling Dragonfly worksheet at their desk and turn it when finished.
PS: I created the Big Ladybugs and the Ladybug worksheet so feel free to click on the pictures or in the materials list to download if you want to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment