February 28, 2014

Student Teaching: Day 3 (Semester 6)

I walk into my mentor's classroom and notice something on her wrist. I then hear her say "I broke my wrist yesterday during recess." Of course this occurs to the hands that she writes with. It's not that big of a deal, but for me when she asks me to write things I get nervous 1. I don't have the best hand writing and 2. Pretty bad speller. I don't know why, but the students had gone outside for recess while it was snowing the day before. It was a light wet snow, but it was slippery. And so she slipped and fell.



Anyways the day began with the older classes (3,4,5 graders I think) performing a parody of Romeo and Juliet called Romeo and Harriet. I really enjoyed it, though it was long. I could tell some of the kids, especially the kindergartners, were getting restless. It began around 8 and didn't end until around 10. Then the students had lunch right after along with recess, then their specials(which Anne and I sat in to do our observation), and then finally they were in their classroom.

Believe it not the students had outdoor recess with the cold temperatures and the wind blowing. There was still snow on the ground in some spots. It was only me, Anne, and the principal outside with all of the kindergartners and the first graders. There had to be at least 100 students outside if not more. It was crazy because I would have students come up to me and say they had to go to the bathroom and I didn't know what to do.

I worked with my child today for the second part of the screening project (Literacy and Language). I had to do a 20 minute observation, a survey, print awareness assessment, and a phonological awareness assessment. It went fine. He got brunt out I could tell towards the ends and was asking if he could go back to class. After he started saying I don't know as the answer I stopped and we headed back to class. The teacher for this project said before that it's fine if they don't complete the whole assessment.

Believe it or not I also work on this day and I just got back from work and the day before I told them I couldn't work on Friday. Now they guilt tripped me into working. Work is so stressful  since we are short staffed. I only want to work on Mondays and they say I can't do that and if I do then I would be considered a Sub and I would work at whichever of the centers would need me on that Monday. I don't want to work at any of the other centers.



I have a grant that pays for my college and in order to keep that grant I must be working at a daycare while going to college. I don't see how that is going to work when I begin full time student teaching next spring semester. I'm going to email the grant adviser at my college and ask her....well I'm not sure. She's not very nice and responds to emails strangely. I can't go and find another daycare because they aren't wanting to hire somebody just for one day a week. So I feel like that now that I'm student teaching even if it's only one day then that should count as the requirement to keep the grant while in college. Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment