January 24, 2014

Orientation

I can't believe that school is already here.....again.

Orientation seemed a little pointless in my mind. It was nothing special. I still don't know for sure where I will be placed, but their are four schools that my cohort could be in, so I'm going to look up those schools. The orientation was for two hours and I can't really think of anything that we did. The head department lady for ECED talked for the most part about...basic stuff.

Then we had a lawyer talk about social media safety for a while, then after that our cohort teachers talked to us and we signed some papers. And that was about it. Oh well afterwards I went and got my textbooks since I have to get them at the store because of my grant. Which they ended up not having two of my books, so hopefully by Monday they have them and I can grab them after class then. Though I will be going to school four other days, so I can keep looking until they have them.

Oh...My cohort teacher did say that she is hoping that by next Thursday that we will get to meet our mentor teachers. Which is exciting ard nerve racking at the same time. I do know that I will be with pre-k and I work at a daycare with that age group, so that does help my nerves a bit.

                                                        Rant:
One last item I wanted to talk about was how teachers need to be careful with what we post on social media or else it could jeopardize being in the education program and in the future when applying for a job. I understand about posting things about the school or the children, but I'm talking more so about the drinking. First let me say that I myself don't drink, though how does a teacher posting something on her personal Facebook like drinking affect her ability of being a teacher? How does that make her incapable of teaching? 

Teachers who were applying to jobs before social media was around were probably drinking and stuff back then, so what is the difference now? I just feel like we are put on such a high pedestal and have a magnifying glass above watching us. What about parents who post drinking pictures online? Aren't they suppose to be role models to their children? What happens to them? Or what about celebrity role models who do bad things? 



No comments:

Post a Comment